Penguins feather colors

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mixedbagofchips

Penguins feather colors

Post by mixedbagofchips »

I understand why penguin feathers are white on the belly and dark on the back, but how does this happen? What makes them go that color? Thank you.
cnoonan180
Expert

Re: Penguins feather colors

Post by cnoonan180 »

Hello,

Is this question related to a science fair project you are working on? If so, please provide some more detail about the project you are working on so that the mentors in this forum can better assist you. If this question is not related to a science fair project, please note that this forum is meant for students, parents and teachers to ask questions about science fair projects only.

You may want to Google your question to find some answers or look for websites with information about wildlife to learn more about penguins.

Thank you!
-cnoonan180
Petlorry

Post by Petlorry »

I was googling this question, but didn`t find the answer
hedybian
Former Student Expert

Post by hedybian »

Hi,
This is a great question. Most likely penguins earn their black and white feather colors in order to camouflage and adapt to their environment. The penguin's black back makes them more difficult to spot at sea, whereas their white bellies may help them blend in when in the bright sunlight.

I hope this helps!
Hedy

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”