Question About "How Blue is Your Sports Drink?"

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

NuclearCow

Question About "How Blue is Your Sports Drink?"

Post by NuclearCow »

Hi, I'm doing this project for school and wanted to know if covering the photoresistor and LED with cuvettes was required. If it is, I was wondering if there were any other object or material I could do it with, since I don't have enough cuvettes. Thank you very much.
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question About "How Blue is Your Sports Drink?"

Post by audreyln »

Hi,

I haven't done this experiment myself but I believe the reason to put the cuvettes over the photoresistor and LED is to 1) protect them from getting wet and 2) ensure that the photoresistor and LED stay the same distance apart (don't get bumped) as you are moving the other cuvettes in and out.

You could use a number of other clear materials to achieve this. Or - if you have a minimum of 4 cuvettes you could leave some of your solutions in their cups until you are read to test and then rinse the cuvette and refill.

If you do use another material, be sure to use the same material for all tests, otherwise you would be introducing another variable.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it worked!

Good luck!

Audrey

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”