Need guidance for a computational biology project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Pinkvilla

Need guidance for a computational biology project

Post by Pinkvilla »

I’m working on my science fair project which involves the spine and algorithms. How much of the code that I’ve generated should I explain in my presentation? Thank you for your help. Also would computer science be my category or health science or environmental science since this project would help forensics and archaeologists? Thank you for your help
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Need guidance for a computational biology project

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Pinkvilla,

Congratulations on going to ISEF!

Here are a couple of links with some guidance from ISEF that might help you:

First, this pdf has guidelines for 3 types of projects: science, engineering, and math/computer science.

https://sspcdn.blob.core.windows.net/fi ... elines.pdf

I suggest that you look at the guidelines for each of the 3 types.

And, for how to include your code, I've seen projects based on computer algorithms include a flow diagram based on "pseudo code." You can include the actual code in your lab notebook. The lab notebook is not required, so be sure to reference it in the main display of the flow diagram.

Second, as for selecting a category AND a subcategory:

https://www.societyforscience.org/isef/ ... ategories/

I am cross-posting this thread to the grades 9-12 life sciences since some of those experts might have helpful suggestions!

Be sure to post again if you have more questions ... and let us know how your project did at the fair!

Best of luck,
Madeline
Moderator and ISEF judge

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”