Iodine Clock Reaction | HCl Substitute??

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mxavier28

Iodine Clock Reaction | HCl Substitute??

Post by mxavier28 »

The Iodine Clock Reaction is a science project posted on Science Buddies measuring the reaction rate at which the dark blue complex takes to form. In the chemicals needed (provided by Science Buddies), HCl is included.

Is there another alternative to the project to create the iodine reaction, perhaps without HCl? Or a possible substitute for HCl?

I do not understand the need for HCl when another less corrosive acid can be utilized. All other variants of the Iodine Clock Reaction I have seen do not include HCl, so I don't understand the role the specific chemical of HCl plays (ALthough, maybe it is the surplus of H+ atoms in HCl, due to the high acidity affecting the rate of the reaction but I could be wrong)

Thank you so much for answering my question, and looking at this thread.

[Administrator note: Project link: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... n-kinetics ]
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Iodine Clock Reaction | HCl Substitute??

Post by AmyCowen »

The project was written for use with a readymade kit from Carolina Biological, and that kit includes HCI. The reaction doesn't specifically require HCI, however. Another acid can be used.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”