How to Mix DNA Together

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

JaquelineP12

How to Mix DNA Together

Post by JaquelineP12 »

hi,
I am doing an experiment and I am gathering my DNA and A tomatoes DNA to make a GMO plant I just wanted to know how I can mix DNA together and make it even. because us humans share 60% of tomato DNA so I divided that by 2 and got 30. I need it to be even otherwise it wont work I need detailed instruction otherwise I will not understand. ( also is there any other option I can use beside a gene gun to inject my plant :D )
koneill18
Expert

Re: How to Mix DNA Together

Post by koneill18 »

Hello!

This is an interesting question. What are you trying to accomplish with your project? If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you're trying to add human DNA to a plant. The problem is, if you add human DNA to a plant, it won't work in the plant because plants can't recognize and read human genes. Human DNA also doesn't have the genes that plant cells need to survive, so a hybrid human/plant cell would die. This article does a good job of explaining why human DNA won't work in a plant: https://www.thetech.org/ask-a-geneticist/ask382

Let us know if you have more questions!
JaquelineP12

Re: How to Mix DNA Together

Post by JaquelineP12 »

hi, thank you so much i understand now

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”