What would this be classified as?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

_The_One_and_Only_
Project Question: Is my science project problem complex enough?
Project Due Date: Due date for the final draft of my investigation plan: 10/25/22 (Tuesday)
Project Status: I am conducting my research

What would this be classified as?

Post by _The_One_and_Only_ »

For my science project this year, I was thinking about testing which starch from potatoes or arrowroot or tapioca would be the thickest of the three, as well as coming up with another experiment in addition to the previously mentioned experiment. (Will have to think on that later.)

However, to fill out my science topic selection worksheet (which is due on Tuesday; so I would prefer to receive an answer before then please), I'm not sure which category this would be under. I'm guessing that it would probably be under physical science ... but then there are many other topics under that.

Would it by any chance be under chemistry, and would it be under the inorganic section? Or am I completely missing the mark? :lol:

Thank you in advance!

Moderator note: I've cross-posted this question to the Physical Sciences to give the experts in chemistry a chance to help you too! In the meantime, you might want to search the Science Buddies project database for projects involving starch. Just use the search tool at the top right of the web page. Good luck!
JacquelineK
Expert

Re: What would this be classified as?

Post by JacquelineK »

Greetings!
I would classify this experiment generally under Physical Science, and more specifically, Chemistry. It can be further classified under Organic Chemistry. Organic Chemistry is a branch of chemistry that studies the structure, properties and reactions of organic compounds. In cooking, starches undergo a process called gelatinization. When starch and water are subjected to heat, this breaks down the intermolecular bonds on the starch molecules, causing the starch granules to swell and absorb more water creating a thick or viscous texture!

Here is a fun little tidbit of information.There is an exciting branch of science called Molecular Gastronomy, which is concerned with the physical and chemical transformations of foods that occur during cooking! Your idea sound like a lot of fun and there are many additional experiments that you could add-on later.

Using the ScienceBuddies project database, under the physical science tab, both chemistry and Cooking & Food Science would be a good place to start some research. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
_The_One_and_Only_
Project Due Date: Due date for the final draft of my investigation plan: 10/25/22 (Tuesday)

Thank you for the greetings! Ahhh, Organic Chemistry then ... I was semi-close. Do I get half a point? :lol: On another note, I didn't know that starches could undergo gelatinization! (Try saying that five times straight haha.) I might just need to include that information for my background paper ...

And yes, I got the science project idea from this website! So I'll definitely need to thoroughly read the info about it when I need to start delving into the project more than I currently am.

Thank you for your help! :D
_The_One_and_Only_

Is my problem complex enough?

(I'm reposting this because I'm not sure if the original post went into this forum or not.)

For my science project, I was planning to make three different kinds of potato starches--Yukon gold, Idaho, and Russet--and to test which one of these starches makes bechemel sauce (gravy) the thickest of the three. I was going to do the experiment thrice to test for the same results ... but I'm doubting whether or not this is complex enough. (Complexity of the project is considered in my investigation plan's grade form.)
I'm currently in high school (think tenth to twelfth grade). Should I make this problem more complex, or is it okay the way that it is?
Thank you!
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by MadelineB »

Hello The_One_And_Only!

I've merged your most recent post with your earlier post on a similar topic. Keeping these similar posts in the same threads will let the expert who responded to the earlier post see your new questions. That way, that expert can help you more quickly!

Best of luck with your science project!

Thank you,
Madeline B

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”