Science Fair Help

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

YusufBey

Science Fair Help

Post by YusufBey »

Hello,

I have a science fair coming up soon. For my experiment, I will use CDC recommended hand soaps and sanitizer on public areas bacteria and record my results to see which soap/sanitizer removed the most bacteria. I have a couple of questions for the experiment:

1. Is "Got Bacteria?" a good title? If not, how can I improve it.
2. Is a good question "Which CDC recommended hand soap or sanitizer work best to remove bacteria?".

Also, I'm still thinking of a hypothesis to use because I found it very difficult to do so. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
YusufBey :)
koneill18
Expert

Re: Science Fair Help

Post by koneill18 »

Hello!

1. That sounds like a good start to your title. When it comes to Science Fair project titles, you want them to give people an idea of what your project is about. A common formula for a science fair title is to write a catchy title followed by the question that you're trying to answer. Here is an example: "Got Bacteria?: Which CDC recommended hand soaps remove bacteria the best?"

2. That question sounds good to me! Based on what you already know about each of the soaps and sanitizers, you can make a predication about which one will remove bacteria the best. That will be your hypothesis.
Have you already checked out the Science Buddies guide on writing a hypothesis? It might help you get started https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... hypothesis

Let us know if you have more questions or need help planning your project!
YusufBey

Post by YusufBey »

Thank you,

For my hypothesis I will use "If different types of antibacterial agents are tested on the same source, then the Everyone Lavender Coconut Hand Soap will be more effective because hand sanitizers are less effective than foaming hand wash (Dial Complete Foaming Hand Wash), whereas liquid (Everyone Lavender Coconut Hand Soap) is more effective than foaming hand wash.​" What do you think?

Thanks,
Yusuf Bey :D
koneill18
Expert

Post by koneill18 »

Hello,

I think that sounds great! The only change I would suggest is maybe specifying what you mean by "more effective." Even though most people will probably be able to guess what you mean, it doesn't hurt to be extra clear! You could say something like, "If different types of antibacterial agents are tested on the same source, then the Everyone Lavender Coconut Hand Soap will kill more bacteria than [insert names of the other products you're testing here]."
YusufBey

Post by YusufBey »

Thanks

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”