Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Darthrayray

Question

Post by Darthrayray »

Hi I'm doing a science project I found in science buddies called "the fluffiest muffins: Flour type and muffin density." I am using wheat flour, Almond flour and all purpose flour in a recipe that I can control the ingredients, but is it better to measure batter by volume or weight when I put it into the pan?

[Administrator note: Project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... flour-type ]
JacquelineK
Expert

Re: Question

Post by JacquelineK »

Hi there!

Measuring by volume relates to the amount of space its substance takes up. This could vary greatly depending on which measuring tools you are using. For example, let's say someone is wanting to replicate your recipe. Depending on what type of measuring cup was used (and the country of origin of the tools) and how that measuring cup was filled (did you spoon it in, scoop it, pack it?), may result in two very different weights, which could have an impact on how the recipe turned out.

Measuring by weight relates to how heavy something is. This is generally the most accurate way to measure. For example, measuring 150 grams in Canada is the same as measuring 150 grams in Australia. An important aspect of scientific experiments is to make it repeatable. Meaning, if someone was to repeat this experiment, they should be able to produce similar results as you did, making the data and study more accurate.

I hope this all makes sense. Good Luck!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”