Hitting the Target: The Importance of Making Sure a Drug's Aim Is True

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

GoganBaby

Hitting the Target: The Importance of Making Sure a Drug's Aim Is True

Post by GoganBaby »

What does it mean when it says “Where do the "Patched" proteins match your sequence? Researchers do not know where the drugs bind the NPC1 protein, but where could the drugs bind and probably not also bind the Patched proteins?” ? In the BLAST website there is nothing labeled “patched”,and how am I supposed to know where the drugs bind? The graphical summary doesn’t really show that?

[Project directions: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... t-accuracy ]
Attachments
3211E309-8BAD-4CB6-B0FF-DB34EDD8AF1F.pdf
(88.23 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
kstromberg
Expert

Re: Hitting the Target: The Importance of Making Sure a Drug's Aim Is True

Post by kstromberg »

Hello,

I believe "patched" is referring to step h, so you are comparing the two proteins you found in step h. For the purpose of step i with the binding, you are looking for differences in the sequences between the proteins you picked in step h and the NPC1. You do not need to know where it is binding. The idea is if the binding site on NPC1 is also on another protein, this drug will not work, as it can recognize both and is not specific enough. However, if there are areas of different sequences, this is a potential site where it could bind NPC1 but not the other protein.

You do not need to know the binding site, you are comparing sequence similarities.

I hope this helps!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”