Questions about the Banana Testing Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

jaz0226

Questions about the Banana Testing Project

Post by jaz0226 »

In reference to https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ning-fruit, for steps 3-9, is it all testing one singular banana? Or is it all five of the unripe bananas are tested on the day you get them, and then cutting off a little more of the banana as the days go. If it is all 5 at one time, how do I store the bananas that have already been cut? Just in the refrigerator or in a container?
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Questions about the Banana Testing Project

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi - I think you will want to go back and read through the steps carefully.

Step 3 says: "On the day you purchase them, cut off a section of one of the unripe bananas that is about 3 inches in length."

You are told what to do then in steps 4-9.

Step 10 tells you when to test the other bananas:
Repeat steps 4–7 for the remaining pieces of fruit, as they ripen, as follows. Note: You might want to modify the days on which you take your Brix readings, depending on how quickly the fruit is ripening.
Day 2: Test the second piece of fruit.
Day 4: Test the third piece of fruit.
Day 6: Test the fourth piece of fruit.
Day 8: Test the last piece of fruit.

But please note that you also are told to perform the experiment three times (so 15 bananas total).

If you have questions after rereading, please let us know.

Amy
Science Buddies
jaz0226

Re: Questions about the Banana Testing Project

Post by jaz0226 »

Oh, whoops! Thank you for the reply!!

I’m also wondering if I could store the first bananas I use in the refrigerator and let them continue to ripen once they are actually ready to be eaten or baked or something. Or maybe they have to be put in a plastic bag first?

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”