Electrolytes in Sports Drinks versus orange juice

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

samantha06

Electrolytes in Sports Drinks versus orange juice

Post by samantha06 »

Hello,
My child has chosen this experiment but I have a question. Why is this experiment even necessary? The label on drinks tells you how many electrolytes are in it. She was wanting to determine which drink had more electrolytes: Gatorade or the sports powder drink her dad uses when cycling. The experiment looks cool but I am struggling with the practicality or purpose since drinks are labeled.

ok,
Could our question be: Do electrolytes conduct electricity? Then compare drinks with different levels of electrolytes on the label compared to distilled water the control but that begs the question: Does (insert electrolyte) have a stronger current then (insert electrolyte)? If that is the case, then one drink may have a stronger/or smaller current then another because of the different electrolytes each one contains even if they have the same percentage of electrolytes. regardless, I question the first question would still be answered, yes they do but then you may need something other than drinks because they have more than electrolytes in them and other materials may conduct electricity as well. My brain is spinning.

Moderator note: Hello Samantha, I've merged your two posts into one ... mainly so your post does not show a reply ... the experts here scan the posts looking for those which do not have any replies. Your second post would make them think you didn't need their help ... sorry for the round about explanation! Keep up the good questions and an expert will respond soon! Thanks!

Me the moderator again: I'm not an expert re: electrolytes, but I see that the experiment is to compare a measurement of electrolytes for the sports drinks to the same measurement for orange juice ...
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Electrolytes in Sports Drinks versus orange juice

Post by audreyln »

Hello,

Hope I can help a bit...

First, although the drink labels include the amount of electrolytes this is still an interesting experiment to gain exposure to following a procedure, collecting data and sharing results. It will be very interesting to see if your student's results are consistent with the labels on the products!

Second, you could test "which sports drink has the best conductivity?" Your suspicion that different electrolyte ingredients may perform better (have a stronger current) is likely correct. You could consider expanding this project to include some background research on the different ingredients used and which is most effective. Effective could mean the greatest current per grams of electrolyte or you may also be able to find research on which ingredients help athletes perform the best.

Hope this helps!

Audrey

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”