A student believes she is observing a chemical reaction when pure sugar is burned and caramelizes. How can the student

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

CringyCorey

A student believes she is observing a chemical reaction when pure sugar is burned and caramelizes. How can the student

Post by CringyCorey »

Do I need to compare their state of matter, volume, mass, or volubility in water?
bth80
Student Expert

Re: A student believes she is observing a chemical reaction when pure sugar is burned and caramelizes. How can the stud

Post by bth80 »

I'm not exactly sure what the question is, but caramelization of sugar is chemical reaction.

I unfortunately don't know of any method of knowing is something is a chemical reaction or not, but generally a change in something that is not purely physical would be a chemical reaction. For example, bending a piece of metal would be a physical change, but if that piece of metal were to rust, that would be a chemical change caused by a chemical reaction.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”