Fingerprint Inheritance

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

valentinap9

Fingerprint Inheritance

Post by valentinap9 »

Hello! I thought it might be a good idea to reach out to an expert about my science fair project... For my science fair project I chose the topic "Are Fingerprint Patterns Inherited?" which I found on science buddies. However I am a bit confused on the variables. So far this is what I have:

Independent Variable: If the people are related
Dependent Variable: How similar the fingerprints are
Control Variables: The tools used for sampling. The finger used for sampling (right index finger). The technique used for sampling.
My teacher asked for 4-5 control variables but I only have 3... If anyone could give me ideas and feedback for my variables that would be awesome. Thank you!

-Valentina
chloemkohl
Student Expert

Re: Fingerprint Inheritance

Post by chloemkohl »

Hi Valentina!

You seem to have a good understanding of the experiment! Both your independent and dependent variables are correct, as you are looking to find patterns and differences between the fingerprints of siblings and the fingerprints of non-related people. Control variables include any factor that remains the same in both the experimental and control group. An additional control variable could be the number of pairs in each group.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!

Good luck with the experiment!
Chloe
valentinap9

Re: Fingerprint Inheritance

Post by valentinap9 »

Hi Chloe!

Thank you so much!! This definitely helped me.

-Valentina

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”