How to culture bacteria

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

CH07

How to culture bacteria

Post by CH07 »

I would like to culture the strep A bacterium. I am trying to teach my son about bacteria and I’m rusty at microbiology. I happen to get frequent strep throat and thought that would be a good bacteria to learn about considering. I haven’t been in school since 2007 and have memory issues so help us needed. It’s embarrassing, but it is what it is. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also, can this be done without an incubator? Thank you!

Edit: can it be viewed under a microscope via a throat swab without culturing it first (take swab and wipe on slide, use proper stain)?

[Administrator note - I've combined your edit with your original post.]
chloemkohl
Student Expert

Re: How to culture bacteria

Post by chloemkohl »

Hello! I recently performed a bacteria-culture experiment, so here's my advice. You would want to swab the bacteria sample and then place it onto an agar plate. Bacteria grows best in a dark and warm environment, so try to find a location with these factors as it will best mimic a host organism that bacteria typically grows in. I would also recommend taping the sides of the petri dish shut or placing it into a plastic bag to prevent any bacteria from escaping. Science Buddies has pre-made kits available or you can make your own. I've attached links below.

- https://www.homesciencetools.com/produc ... t/?aff=SB1
- https://www.stevespanglerscience.com/la ... -bacteria/

Also, you should be able to see the bacteria under a microscope. It might be interesting to see how the bacteria looks directly post-swab compared to after a few days of being cultured.

Keep us updated with results and let us know if you have any other questions!

Good luck,
Chloe

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”