Big Five Personality traits and visual search test

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

AliZein

Big Five Personality traits and visual search test

Post by AliZein »

Objective: Test to check which personality factors or traits best influence careers with extreme focus.
Hypothesis: Low conscientiousness rates will result in missing targets, and thus not being able to join any career that signifies and necessitates high concentration levels.

Question to be answered immediately by experts: IS my science fair project good ? and how can i improve it
koneill18
Expert

Re: Big Five Personality traits and visual search test

Post by koneill18 »

Hello!

That sounds like an interesting project! I like the idea of correlating personality traits with career choices. I think the first thing you need to do is come up with a plan on how you are going to perform your experiment. How are you going to test your hypothesis? It might be a bit tricky to directly prove that having a particular personality trait makes you less likely to excel in a certain career.

One option is for you to select one career that you define as being a "high concentration" career and another career that you define as being "low concentration." Then you could have people in each of those fields take a personality test that measures their level of conscientiousness. Once you get their test results, you can see if the conscientiousness scores are higher in the high concentration career group than in the low concentration career group. Alternatively, instead of choosing 2 careers ahead of time, you can just interview whoever you'd like for your experiment and sort their jobs into high or low concentration categories and see if the people whose jobs were in the high concentration category had higher conscientiousness scores. You would just need to explain your criteria for how you chose which jobs went into which category.

I hope this helps get you started! Let us know if you have more questions as you plan your project.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”