TV producer: Making an adder electric circuit!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

elikint

TV producer: Making an adder electric circuit!

Post by elikint »

Hi! I'm a producer with Scripps News and a science journalist.

I'm making a video for my show (The Why) to explain how a microchip works and why they're so hard to make.

I thought in the video I would use breadboard to make a half adder (or an even simpler logic circuit!) to show how the absolute most simple logic circuit works

Here's are two tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzGrf4CRVqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0P-f8HBPJI

But I'd like to do it on camera even more simply.

Anyone have suggestions on how :

a)to make a half adder without the IC's (they're a little mysterious to the viewer since you can't see inside them and have extra pins/legs.)
b) to build a different logic circuit that shows how electricity can solve logic puzzles?

Best, Eli
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: TV producer: Making an adder electric circuit!

Post by SciB »

Hi Eli,

Welcome to Scibuddies and thanks for the interesting question. I think the answer will take an expert with more specialized knowledge than I have and I would recommend, if you haven't already done it, to also post your question on the physical science forum. The experts there are more savvy about chips and breadboards than us life scientists.

There's a real art to creating a good teaching video and I am not among the gifted videographers, but I'm sure there are some people on this forum who can supply you with helpful suggestions.

Good luck!

Sybee
elikint

Re: TV producer: Making an adder electric circuit!

Post by elikint »

Thanks Sybee! Will do

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”