What's the simplest logic circuit to make...without IC's?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

elikint

What's the simplest logic circuit to make...without IC's?

Post by elikint »

Hi! I'm a producer with Scripps News and a science journalist.

I'm making a video for my show (The Why) to explain how a microchip works and why they're so hard to make.

I thought in the video I would use breadboard to make a half adder (or an even simpler logic circuit!) to show how the absolute most simple logic circuit works

Here's are two tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzGrf4CRVqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0P-f8HBPJI

But I'd like to do it on camera even more simply.

Anyone have suggestions on how :

a)to make a half adder without the IC's (they're a little mysterious to the viewer since you can't see inside them and have extra pins/legs that confuse their function.)

OR

b) to build a different logic circuit that shows how electricity can solve logic puzzles?

Best, Eli
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: What's the simplest logic circuit to make...without IC's?

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi elikint - The Ask an Expert forums here at Science Buddies are designed to provide support for K-12 students (and their teachers/families) working on science projects for assignments and/or the science fair. Our staff scientists and volunteer experts are not able to support questions about projects outside of this.

Our science team does have expertise in simplifying, teaching, and explaining concepts like these (and making STEM videos). If you want to reach out about partnering with Science Buddies for an educational video, please email us at scibuddy@sciencebuddies.org

Amy
Science Buddies
elikint

Re: What's the simplest logic circuit to make...without IC's?

Post by elikint »

Got it, thanks Amy!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”