Units

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

dannym06

Units

Post by dannym06 »

I am currently doing a research project and found some data using the units mmol/m^-3 and umol/L^-1. I have tried finding the conversion for these to either mg/L or PPM but I'm not sure why there is an exponent for them. I searched the measurement and mmol/m and umol/L are the units but am not sure what the exponent is. please help.
brandimiller610
Expert
Project Question: Ask an Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Units

Post by brandimiller610 »

Hi,

Thank you for your question!

I want to clarify...is it written as mmol/m^-3 or mmol m^-3 (or umol/L^-1 versus umol L^-1)? Generally, a negative exponent means 1/x. So, the first unit would be millimole per cubic meter, while the second would be micromole per liter. Adding the "/" as well as the negative exponent is ambiguous and the units should be written without the "/" symbol.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you need clarification or have any other questions.

--Brandi

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”