Advice on potential Science Fair Project on bone healing/growth

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

jMcM11

Advice on potential Science Fair Project on bone healing/growth

Post by jMcM11 »

Hello those on Science Buddies,
I am a highschool junior looking to take part in an upcoming science fair. I have had stress fractures before, so I was interested in doing something related to bone health/healing. I researched the topic, and as such an important topic in medical studies, there seems to be little that I could experiment on that hasn't already been well researched. In addition, ideas such as testing the effectiveness of certain foods/chemicals on osteoblast activity would require something like samples of living bone cells, which would not be feasible for this science fair. Some other ideas I have considered involve testing bone density between cow bones or egg shells of animals fed with a healthy diet vs those bred simply for food. Or possibly testing different foods for nutrients beneficial to bone growth. Both of these ideas seem more reasonable, but also might require technology (a BMD tester) or for the food experiment, it seems like that information has already been researched.
So mainly I'm just looking for any advice for changes I can make to these ideas to make them more applicable to the science fair. I am very excited to start working on a project, but I have been stuck trying to decide on a good experiment that would actually be impactful.
Thank you for your time and any replies would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time posting on this website and it seems that there is an amazing community present here.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”