Molecular Cloning

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Sandi35

Molecular Cloning

Post by Sandi35 »

Hi, I really need help doing a molecular cloning experiment.

I am a Ph.D student doing a rotation in a lab that does molecular cloning all the time but I am super confused with all the explanations I am getting.
Basically, I need to make a DNA construct consisting of 3 different DNA sequences.
2 of the DNA sequences we need to isolate from a mice tissue and the third DNA seq. is in a vector.
Then, I will do the Gibson-Assembly PCR experiment to put that those 3 inserts into a plasmid.

Now, my confusion is in the primer designing part. Do we need to design the primers to isolate the DNA sequences from the tissue or are the primers used in the Gibson-Assembly run?
Another question is, how does one isolate those DNA sequences?
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Molecular Cloning

Post by MadelineB »

The Science Buddies Ask the Experts forum is for students in grades K-12 who are doing hands-on science projects. There are other sites on the web where your questions would be more appropriate and likely to get useful responses.

Thank you.
Madeline

Return to “Careers in Science”