Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

mross1004

Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas

Post by mross1004 »

What are the independent and dependent variables as well as the constant, control group (if any), and sources of error in this artificial pancreas model? :?:
JacquelineK
Expert

Re: Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas

Post by JacquelineK »

Hi there!

The independent variable in an experiment is that variable that you are manipulating/changing/controlling. The dependent variable is the variable that changes as a response to the manipulation of the independent variable. An easy way to remember these two definitions is that the dependent variable is "DEPENDENT" on the change of the independent variable.

In regards to experimental errors, there are a couple different types.

Systemic errors: errors that are inherent to the system or the measuring instrument. Systemic error will lead to decreased accuracy. Some examples: poorly calibrated measuring tools, incorrect position of zero point of measuring instrument etc.

Random errors: a result of variations in the performance of the instrument and/or the experimenter. Random error will lead to decreased consistency. Some examples: irregularities in object being measured (i.e. wires that are not uniform in thickness), changes in temp, humidity etc. while experiment is in progress, or human error (i.e. reading an indicator from a poor angle).

I hope this helps you find the answer to your questions. Cheers.
mross1004

Re: Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas

Post by mross1004 »

It did! Thanks so much!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”