Battery life capactiy

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

1qaz2wsx3edc4rfv5tgb6yhn7ujm8ik9

Battery life capactiy

Post by 1qaz2wsx3edc4rfv5tgb6yhn7ujm8ik9 »

Hello,
I have a question regarding a formula to calculate the battery life of a drone. So, when I start to research on google, I can not find a formula which I can use to calculate how much the weight and distance affects the battery life of the drone. If possible, please respond to this soon, as I need to get started on the topic ASAP.
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Battery life capactiy

Post by bfinio »

Hi - this is a complicated topic and there is not a single equation that will tell you the exact battery life of a drone. However, you could make some reasonable assumptions to make an estimate. For example, say that your drone can hover in place for 10 minutes with no added weight before the battery dies. If you increase the drone's weight by 10%, what do you think that would do to the battery life?

A much more complicated route is to look up the "power to hover" - this is the power required by a helicopter (or drone) to hover in place, and there are online calculators that will help with this, such as this one: https://www.spinningwing.com/hover-power-calculator/.

That page is for a helicopter with a single main rotor, unlike a drone which has four rotors. So you would need to calculate equivalent rotor area as if the drone had a single propeller, and use the corresponding radius. That page could then give you an estimate for how much the power requirement increases when you increase the weight, and you could use that to estimate the impact on battery life.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”