!HELP NEEDED! Dna experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

AshiyaChand

!HELP NEEDED! Dna experiment

Post by AshiyaChand »

Hello,
For my science fair project, I want to recreate a crime scene with some DNA (saliva or a piece of hair) left at the crime scene, and show that dna analysis is an important part of finding the culprit of the crime.

But I am not sure where to start. I don't know what my question should be or how to begin my project.

Please back to me quickly!
kstromberg
Expert

Re: !HELP NEEDED! Dna experiment

Post by kstromberg »

Hello,

For questions, you could form it around things like "how does DNA help prove guilt or innocence?" or something of the nature. However, getting into DNA analysis is quite complicated. DNA extractions are relatively easy, but analyzing it is a bit tricky and likely something you would be unable to do at home as it involves highly complex sequencing of the genome.
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: !HELP NEEDED! Dna experiment

Post by AmyCowen »

In addition to the advice Expert Kstromberg gave you, there are a few "crime scene chemistry" projects at Science Buddies. You might want to take a look at a few of these to see if any of these are of interest:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... 0chemistry

(These won't do exactly what you described, but if you are interested in this area of exploration, you might find a good project in this list.)

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”