Page 1 of 1

Do magnets affect the growth of Planaria

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:54 pm
by JONI_ADGE
Hi I did a science project last year on planaria regeneration. I was so fascinated by it. I would like to continue to work on a similar project. I'm thinking to use magnets and see the effects of magnetism on their growth. However not sure what kind, and where to get these magnets. How am I supposed to place them in a petri dish? And how to measure/know the strength of a magnet? I also struggled to measure the Planaria. is there a specific microscope I need to use? Thank you

Moderator note: Science Buddies project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... generation

Re: Do magnets affect the growth of Planaria

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 2:21 am
by Michael_K
Neodymium magnets like N35 or N52, or even standard ceramic ones, work best for this. Their strength is usually rated in Gauss or Tesla by the seller, but for a school project you can easily compare their relative strength using free magnetometer apps like Phyphox or Physics Toolbox, or just by seeing how many paperclips each one can hold.
By the way, there are a lot of interesting offers here that you might like.