How do I make a stalagmite grow fast in cold weather?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Doorbell

How do I make a stalagmite grow fast in cold weather?

Post by Doorbell »

I'm really having trouble starting my experiment. :? The sodium carbonate is dripping too fast so I need it to dry, but it is cold so it can't dry that fast.
Pumpkin
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Hi Doorbell,
Can you describe the experimental setup in greater detail? It is hard to know how to fix the problem without having a very thorough description of your objectives and the details of your procedure.
Looking forward to hearing more,
Chris
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Can you make whatever hole the sodium carbonate solution is dripping through smaller so the drips come less frequently? Like Chris said, if you explain this to us in more detail we will be better able to solve the problem.
Willz
Former Expert

Post by Willz »

As the previous 2 experts have said, it would be quite beneficial to us if you explain your experiment more thoroughly. It seems like your question is asking how to make stalagmites grow fast in cold weather, so I am a bit puzzled as to why you would not want the sodium carbonate to drip faster. You might consider drying the sodium carbonate by producing a strong air current to help cool and dry it off.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”