Rocket Aerodynamics

This forum is dedicated to students preparing for ISEF. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand ISEF experience. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

rikesh3
Project Question: Rocket Aerodynamics
Project Due Date: February 3, 2009
Project Status: I am just starting

Question!!

Post by rikesh3 »

Hey! I am doing a project on rocket aerodynamics. My question is Do i have to construct my own model rocket? or can i buy them ready made?
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: Question!!

Post by davidkallman »

Hi rikesh3,

That's a fascinating project!

You can build or buy. Building is better, and you can use the inspiration of some of the advertised kits for sale as a basis for a rocket that you build. If building a rocket is difficult, you may want to buy a kit. Since, however, your project is not due until February, you may to explore the build option more before you buy a kit. I don't know how being in the Intel ISEF contest influences the build/buy decision (though, on face value, build sounds even more important, here).

If you start typing "rocket kit" into answers.com, you'll notice a pull-down menu "Choose a suggestion..." with two entries:

1. Search Web for rocket kit
2. Shop for rocket kit

that give web references for building a rocket kit and buying a rocket kit. Note: even if you click "Search Web for rocket kit", you'll get "Sponsored Links", which are advertisers selling rocket kits.

Please buzz back if you have questions on the above. Thanks.
Cheers!

Dave
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

rikesh 3,

As far as ISEF is concerned, how judges view your project really depends on the project itself more than the equipment you use as long as the equipment is appropriate for your project. For instance, if you are using model rockets to study a scientific principle or answer a question then using model rocket kits would be viewed very differently than if you were trying to do an engineering design project using a kit. Can you see the difference here? For ISEF the work that you do needs to be your own work and significant. Whether or not you use a kit for your model rocket really is up to you, but I would ask yourself "Am I using the rockets as a tool to study something else, or is designing and modifying the rocket the main goal of my experiment?"

Please be aware that many Intel ISEF-affiliated regional fairs (and the Intel ISEF itself) have strict rules that often pertain to using model rockets. Please contact the SRC of your Intel ISEF-affiliated regional fair to make sure that you complete the necessary forms and obtain the required approvals for your project PRIOR to beginning experimentation. This page of the Science Buddies website provides some general advice, but DOES NOT replace the guidance that your regional fair SRC can: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... code.shtml.
All the best,
Terik
rikesh3

Rocket Aerodynamics

Post by rikesh3 »

Hey! I am trying to do my project that has something to do with Rocket aerodynamics. Can you suggest me several questions that have something to do with Rocket aerodynamics?
rikesh3

Post by rikesh3 »

Hey!

Can u suggest me several questions that have something to do with rocket aerodynamics. Questions that are unique and interesting. I am willing to build or buy model rockets and i have plenty of time since my projects in February. But i have to turn in my question by tomorrow, so please reply quickly!! thank you.
tdaly
Former Expert

Re: Rocket Aerodynamics

Post by tdaly »

rikesh3,

Science Buddies has a number of Project Ideas about aerodynamics here: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... OjExMTEzOA. Try playing with the "Show Easier Ideas" and "Show Harder Ideas" buttons to see if you might find one that sparks your interest. We have had students who start with a Project Idea go on to compete as ISEF. The trick is to not merely do the project as outlined in the Project Idea, but to use the Idea as a springboard to a more complex project.
All the best,
Terik
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

rikesh3,

It really helps us Experts help you if you keep all questions about your project on a single topic. I have combined your topics into one.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Intel ISEF Preparation”