URGENT: ISEF Display Board

This forum is dedicated to students preparing for ISEF. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand ISEF experience. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

tcoles
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

URGENT: ISEF Display Board

Post by tcoles »

I am going to ISEF, and I have a neat well designed normal sized board,
Should I redo it and make it bigger?
i could make it more detailed.
Is it worth it to have a bigger display board?

I know it is important to have it good because the judges
study your board when your not there

What is the most effective way of putting it together if i do make a bigger board?
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: URGENT: ISEF Display Board

Post by tdaly »

Hi tcoles,

I would strongly consider putting together a new board. You wouldn't be the only person with a "normal" size board, but you would definitely be in the minority. Science Buddies has some excellent resources on putting together a board for ISEF. See for example

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ards.shtml
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... sign.shtml
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... onts.shtml
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... port.shtml
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tive.shtml

If you decide to stay with your current board, I would make sure it is as professional as possible. The same holds true if you are going to redo your board. Don't pad your board with unneeded, extraneous information in order to make it fit a larger board. Your goal is to help the judges understand (1) the importance of your work, (2) the end results and implications of your work, and (3) the process of your project. The process consists of your journey from question to hypothesis, hypothesis to procedures, procedures to data, data to data analysis, and data analysis to conclusions.

Let me know if I can provide any additional help; good luck in your preparations!
All the best,
Terik
tcoles
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by tcoles »

I am about to put my board together and mail it, but first I would like to know should I use
Kodak Regular Glossy Photo Paper (45lb) or Canon Matte Paper (a little less glossy, at least I think) (43lb)
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi,

I would probably go with the matte photo paper; it will give you the richness of color and clarity of edges, but it won't have such a problem with glare. However, if the glossy photo paper is cheaper or more convenient, it probably won't make a big difference if you use that kind instead.

Good luck putting your board together; if you have more questions, let us know.
All the best,
Terik
Trader
Project Question: Role of AI-2 in Biofilm Formation of L. monocytogenes
Project Due Date: Janurary 1, 2010 (2 months!!)
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by Trader »

I'm going to ask another question under the same subject

I've noticed that a lot of the people have "small font", essay type paragraphs -- I have 26 size font, which I think is too big. My board seems to cover the least amount of information.

It's a bit late to change anything, but I just want to know, about how much of the judging process is based on the board? I have a research paper that covers everything and right now I'm very tempted to put a sign on the board that says, please check out the research paper :)

For the 3 points of the 1) importance 2) end results and implications and 3) process of project, I've only VERY briefly summarized it, but I have so much more information that is in the research paper!

I can always add "more pages" to the board, so there can be a flipping thing as well.

I always thought that a display board is supposed to be readible, but I've just noticed that it says 16, NOT 26 size font! 26 is a bit too big :(

Thanks
Trader - scientist wannabe =)
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Trader,

Font size 26 is not the end of the world. It's a bit bigger than I would have used, but I can almost guarantee that it isn't going to have a huge adverse effect on your success. Judge time is valuable and it is much more likely that a judge can read through all the material in a size 26 font than in a size 8 font. You have highlighted the main points of your project and your research paper is there for them to consult for the remaining details. I don't think you need to stress about this. Just have your lab notebook and research paper sitting out on the table by your display board. Judges will look at them if they have time. Seriously, though, don't stress about this; it really is not that big of a deal.

Good luck!
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Intel ISEF Preparation”