Optic Nerve Mimicking

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Optic Nerve Mimicking

Postby 111929 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi there. I was wondering if it was possible to mimic an optic nerve. This has been done for the ear before to allow once deaf people to hear again. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GA9gEh1fLs). (Please watch this it might contain something that would help answer this). If this could be done, how would the procedure be done and how would one be able to make as natural as possible? How would you remove the nerve without damaging the eye and reconnect the artificial one?

Project Question: In my project my group and I want to mimic the nerves that would connect the eyes to the brain. This has been done with the ears to allow people who were once deaf to hear. We wondering how, (if possible) could the procedure could be done and if it would be possible to achieve mimicking the nerves in the first place.
Project Due Date: This is due in two weeks, but my group and I would like to continue this outside of school if this is possible.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Optic Nerve Mimicking

Postby SciB » Fri May 16, 2014 3:36 am

Hi,

Thanks for the amazing story of the nerve substitute. It will be interesting to hear how the little boy is doing in a year with the implant.

I'm no expert in bioelectricity and nerve-electronic interfacing although I find this area extremely promising for people who are paralyzed or, as you suggest, for people with optic nerve damage. The possibility of electrically stimulating a nerve has been known ever since Luigi Galvani made a frog's leg jump with an electric charge, although he did not understand the mechanism of muscle contraction by nerve stimulation.

I did a quick google search for electronic stimulation of the visual cortex in the occipital lobe of the brain and found there are several labs studying this, so it is possible:

http://content.lib.utah.edu/utils/getfi ... name/image

http://vpnl.stanford.edu/papers/grillsp ... allobe.pdf

If the optic nerve of a blind person was damaged, it is possible that an electronic circuit could be created to feed signals from the retina to the visual cortex. The existing nerve would not need to be removed. Alternatively, a digital camera could be used to provide images to the brain; but what a person would actually 'see' with such a device is unknown.

What is the purpose behind your question? A science fair project in this area would require access to a very sophisticated brain research lab and specialized knowledge in surgery and microelectronics. We can help with designing projects, but they must be within the range of ordinary lab resources. Let us know where you want to go with this and we will try to advise you.

Sybee
SciB
Expert

Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to participate in the Ask an Expert program.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Optic Nerve Mimicking

Postby 111929 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks for the reply.

Our group is trying to create a project or project idea that will help the world.

Again thanks,

Andrew

Project Question: In my project my group and I want to mimic the nerves that would connect the eyes to the brain. This has been done with the ears to allow people who were once deaf to hear. We wondering how, (if possible) could the procedure could be done and if it would be possible to achieve mimicking the nerves in the first place.
Project Due Date: This is due in two weeks, but my group and I would like to continue this outside of school if this is possible.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences