CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby KATHY030 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:53 pm

I REALLY NEED HELP PLEASE

I'm doing the cancer genome anatomy project and I am doing my research paper and I need to state my hypothesis for my project. I tried to find a hypothesis but I can't seem to find one. Can someone please help me find a hypothesis for this project, its urgent my research paper is due tommorow. PLEASSE HELP.
KATHY030

Project Question: I want to know how to make a hypothesis for the Cancer Genome Anatomy project.
Project Due Date: 12/11/11
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi,

I think this is the project you are doing and it is a really great project.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p011.shtml

In this project you will be comparing the expression of genes in normal and cancer tissue, so you are looking for genes with higher expression levels compared to normal tissue.

Here is the information on the science buddies website for writing your hypothesis:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... esis.shtml

You can state your hypothesis something like: “if I compare gene expression in normal and cancer tissue, there will be a higher level of expression in cancer tissue.” And you can be more specific if you are looking at specific genes or types of cancer.

I hope this helps.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby KATHY030 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi I'm doing the CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT but I don't get the point of the project what Am I suppose to find out.
Plus I've tried like a millions of times to make a hypothesis; I got help but I still didn't understand, the science buddies page for this project states in one of the steps to "17.Can you hypothesize what functions the over-expressed genes might have in cancer cells? This is how some cancer research projects in university and biotechnology labs are launched!" Can someone please help me make a hypothesis because I'm just lost in this project I really don't get it. Plus i variations it also saids Can you identify genes that are over- or under-expressed in more than one type of cancer? Can you make a case for why a particular gene is over-expressed? Put your ideas in the form of a hypothesis.Please help me make a hypothesis it's urgent.
I also need help what does this mean [ A > B ] [ A < B ] ?
What is a tag I din't understand that?
What does library mean?
What does F and Q mean?
What are tag odds?
How do I know when a gene is overexpressed?
So if the pancreas in a cancer is red that means its over expressed??

PLEASE HELP ME IM JUST LOST, I DON't GET IT
KATHY030

Project Question: I want to know how to make a hypothesis for the Cancer Genome Anatomy project.

Postby KATHY030 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:16 pm

CAN someone please answer my questions please
KATHY030

Postby heatherL » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:25 am

Hi Kathy,

Please understand that the experts on this forum do not necessarily check the forum every day, so sometimes it takes awhile to get a response.

I also want to point out that this project is rated at a difficulty of 9, which means that it is quite difficult and usually meant for a high-school level project. That doesn't mean that you should not move forward with it; but it may explain some of your frustration.

Your hypothesis is going to be a prediction of what you think you might find. Donna already gave you the link to ScienceBuddies' excellent information about how to write a hypothesis. We cannot make one for you; it has to come from what you are interested in doing. One example would be for you to predict that two types of cancer would have similar genes that are overexpressed.

KATHY030 wrote:I also need help what does this mean [ A > B ] [ A < B ] ?

According to the instructions, B is the pool of genes from cancerous tissue and A is the pool of genes from normal tissue. [ A > B ] would mean that the normal tissue expresses that gene more than the cancerous tissue. [ A < B] would mean the normal tissue expresses that gene less than the cancerous tissue.

KATHY030 wrote:What is a tag I din't understand that?

A tag is a DNA sequence used to find the gene. It's basically a small part of the gene used to identify its expression. Here is how the project defines it:
Tag refers to the short nucleic acid sequence that identifies the gene. There is one tag for each copy of the gene. The more tags there are in a library, the more copies of that gene product (mRNA) there are.

KATHY030 wrote:What does library mean?

Libraries refers to the number of libraries the tag was found in. A library contains all of the gene's products (mRNAs) expressed in a given tissue. If there is a "2" under column B, that gene was found in both of the tumor libraries.

KATHY030 wrote:What does F and Q mean?

Increasing F, or decreasing Q, will increase the stringency of the search; the search will yield fewer genes, but their differential expression will be more statistically significant.
Q measures the "false discovery rate," which is the probability that sampling error, rather than real biology, accounts for the fact that a tag has been observed to occur more frequently in one library pool than in a second library pool. Low values of Q mean the difference is more likely to be real, and not caused by random chance. In other words, a low value of Q (< 0.01) means that there is a strong probability that the tag occurs more frequently (even only slightly more frequently) in one pool than in the other. Look for genes that have low values of Q when you pick genes for further analysis.

KATHY030 wrote:What are tag odds?

Tag Odds A:B is a number that reflects how significant the data are.

KATHY030 wrote:How do I know when a gene is overexpressed?

Scroll to the bottom of the list to find the genes that are over-expressed in cancer tissue (B>A, where B is the pool of genes from cancerous tissue and A is the pool of genes from normal tissue).

KATHY030 wrote:So if the pancreas in a cancer is red that means its over expressed??

Basically, yes. Here is how the project describes it: "Click on the picture of a body under SAGE Anatomic Viewer. You will see a table with data comparing expression of CLASP2 in a variety of normal and cancerous tissues. Below is a small section of this table showing pancreatic tissue, with red indicating over-expression. Note that CLASP2 over-expression is associated with pancreatic cancer, but not with other types of cancer."

Let us know if you have more questions.

Good luck,
Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby Paola203 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:50 pm

I am doing this great project but Ia m a Lil Bit concerned because i need help in the step # 13 what table # wHaT TABLE IS THAt...pLEASEEEEE HElP MY PROJECT IS DUE FOR 21 and today is 17 :oops: :!:
Paola203

Project Question: My reason for make a n account is because i need a lil bit of help in my project and is
Project Due Date: due for November 21 and today is 17

Postby heatherL » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi Paola203,

It is hard to tell from your post whether you are doing the Cancer Genome Anatomy Project (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p011.shtml) or something entirely different. If you are doing the Cancer Genome Anatomy Project, step #13 of the procedure (http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... #procedure) shows a table with data about the expression of the CLASP2 gene. In this case, the gene has bigger numbers in column B (pancreatic cells with cancer) than column A (normal pancreatic cells). This says that the CLASP2 gene is overexpressed in cancer cells.

If you want to do this project, I recommend following the procedure step-by-step to understand how the program works, and then you can try it with different genes.

If you are not doing the Cancer Genome Anatomy Project, please tell us more about what you are doing so we can help you.

Heather
heatherL

Postby Paola203 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:36 am

Hii!!!

Yep I am doing this project step by step nothing different.... :D
MY Hypothesis is "If I compare gene expression in a normal pancreas and in a cancer tissue,in the cancer tissues I find a higher level of over-expressed genes"
but I need THE STEP 13 links where said the genes over-express in am in a big rush right NOW BECAUSE WITH THOSE LINKS I made the conclusion of my science fair but I need the names of the over expressed genes...
I understand everything in ths project except the step 13
PLEASE HELP ME :oops:
If you can give me the link of step 13 i'd appreciate it
LEASE ANSWER
Paola203

Project Question: My reason for make a n account is because i need a lil bit of help in my project and is

Postby heatherL » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi Paola203,

The link in Step 13 is not in the Science Buddies procedure, but rather in the program itself. If you have been following the procedure step-by-step in the SAGE Genie program (http://cgap.nci.nih.gov/), then you will have the capability to click on different overexpressed genes. If you are having trouble finding the link, try clicking it in Step 10 (before you explore the Tag link and the Anatomical Viewer).

The point of Step 13 is to give you more information about the particular gene (CLASP2, in this case). You will want to repeat the procedure for other genes to test your hypothesis. Remember that, in science, we do not manipulate the data to fit our hypothesis, but instead base our conclusions on the data. So you need to complete the procedures to make sure that your conclusions fit with the data (not the other way around).

I don't have a way to send you the link in Step 13. You need to work through the program yourself (with multiple genes) to complete the project. As I said before, try getting to the link the first time you see the data in Table 2, and see if that helps.

Let me know if you are still having trouble.

Heather
heatherL

Postby Paola203 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:03 pm

Okey thats means the CLASP2 is a gene over-expressed so i cant made a conclusion with that because i only need one gene over expressed..
I dont need more but the question is I can find more information aboout this gene in the page or i need to find in the internet?

the problem is i dont find that genes CLASP2 OR ANY OTHER WITCH NUMBER FOUND 3619 :cry:
AND THE PROBLEM IS DUE FOR 21 I AM STOCK AND IS MY FIRST SCIENCE FAIR AND BY THE WAY IN ENGLISH I BE HERE 5 MOTHS in moments like this i want to go home GOD :cry: :cry: :cry:
Paola203

Postby heatherL » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:16 pm

Paola203 wrote:If I compare gene expression in a normal pancreas and in a cancer tissue,in the cancer tissues I find a higher level of over-expressed genes

Based on this hypothesis, I think you need to find more than one over-expressed gene, since some genes may be under-expressed. Otherwise, this is a circular argument, since the definition of the genes being over-expressed is that they are found at higher levels.

You can find more information about the gene in the SAGE Genie program itself.

Heather
heatherL

Postby Paola203 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:30 pm

how I know what are the over expressed genes i know is too late but a need one more over expressed genes what are the characteristic
Paola203

Postby heatherL » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi Paola203,

The simplest way to understand it is that Pool A represents normal tissues, and Pool B represents cancerous tissues. If you see bigger numbers in column B, then that gene is overexpressed in cancer cells (compared to normal cells). If you see bigger numbers in column A, then that gene is underexpressed in cancer cells.

Heather
heatherL

Postby Medical-stuff » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm

heatherL wrote:Hi Paola203,

The simplest way to understand it is that Pool A represents normal tissues, and Pool B represents cancerous tissues. If you see bigger numbers in column B, then that gene is overexpressed in cancer cells (compared to normal cells). If you see bigger numbers in column A, then that gene is underexpressed in cancer cells.

Heather

Hi I have two questions:
Why is it taking so long for the Cancer Genome Anatomy Project website to Email me my information?!
Also.......
How do you do the hypothesis for the cancer genome anatomy project ????
Medical-stuff

Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby Medical-stuff » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Is anybody there?!!?!!!!!?!????this is serious I only have 2 weeks to complete this so I need help NOW!(not being harsh or anything though...)
Medical-stuff

Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Next

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences