From Trash to Biogas

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

From Trash to Biogas

Postby maeve chua1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:31 am

I am conducting the experiment as suggested per your project on "from trash to Biogas". Our school science fair is coming up on the 18th April 2013. Rather than showing how much each different biogas can be produced by the vegetables/fruits used, or collected in the balloon during the science fair, I was wondering whether I can make it more exciting. My thoughts is to either to 'burn' or lit up the biogas produced (but afraid it may be dangerous) or can I use the biogas to light up an LED? I would like to show how this can be applied and would help if you can share other alternative ideas as to the application of it. Appreciate your help. Thank you.

Maeve Chua
maeve chua1

Project Question: Alternative Biogas to Petrol for our car
Reason for registration: wanted to understand how this experiment can use shown in as an application.
Project Due Date: March 24 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: From Trash to Biogas

Postby ChiaraB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Hello Maeve,
Your first instinct was right; lighting the biogas would be very dangerous and probably could not be done in a school science fair. Unfortunately, lighting up an LED brings up the same issue, because electricity is harnessed from biogas and other gases by burning the gas to heat up water whose steam will turn a turbine, or by simply burning it and letting the resulting changes in air pressure turn the turbine in what is called a combustion turbine. I think one way you could make the project more exciting is by adding a small presentation about the ways biogas is used as an energy source and its advantages over non-renewable energy resources. You could discuss how biogas is utilized for heating and other energy needs , which would be a real-world application of your project idea.
I wish you luck as you continue your project!
ChiaraB
Expert

Project Question: Science Buddies Mentor
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: From Trash to Biogas

Postby maeve chua1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Dear Ciara,
Thanks a lot for your comment. I will try to search for more information for my presentation on the usage of biogas. But would appreciate if you can direct me to links where I can read and learn more on its application.

Regards,
Maeve :D
maeve chua1

Project Question: Alternative Biogas to Petrol for our car
Reason for registration: wanted to understand how this experiment can use shown in as an application.
Project Due Date: March 24 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science