Why is Vitamin C so heat sensitive?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Why is Vitamin C so heat sensitive?

Postby Barney77 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:03 am

Simply that! Why is vitamin C, or other vitamins for that matter, so heat sensitive? As in why are they destroyed very easily when exposed to heat? I would really like the answer soon please if possible; starting the experiment next week! Thanks :D
Barney77

Project Question: I am not currently conducting a project, but am researching possible project ideas. In doing this, I was thinking about doing something to do with amyloids and the prevention of Alzheimer's!
Project Due Date: A project date has not yet been set, but will probably be a few months away.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Why is Vitamin C so heat sensitive?

Postby kgudger » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums.

This seems like a very good question to start your science project with! Have you tried a web search? I did, and I found lots of (mis) information on the first page of results, but things start to look better the farther you go into the search (pages 2, 3, etc.) Try it!

This article seems to start you in the right direction: http://www.netsci-journal.com/97v4/97014/vitc2.html One thing it says is
Vitamin C is readily oxidized, especially in aqueous solutions, by reacting with atmospheric oxygen, and behaves as a two-electron donor

There are some good suggestions on the web for experiments, including Science Buddies web site. I found this thread on SB that gives some good advice: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=954

Have fun!
Keith
kgudger

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Why is Vitamin C so heat sensitive?

Postby Barney77 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks heaps for the information! It was really helpful :D
Barney77

Project Question: I am not currently conducting a project, but am researching possible project ideas. In doing this, I was thinking about doing something to do with amyloids and the prevention of Alzheimer's!
Project Due Date: A project date has not yet been set, but will probably be a few months away.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Return to Grades 6-8: Physical Science