urgent i have a doubt

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

urgent i have a doubt

Postby ganesh rohit » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:07 am

sir,

I have keen interest in developing electricity through innovative methods.i got an idea to produce electricity.that is take a windmill in which the propeller or the blades are attached or fixed in horizontal direction or parallel to the earth's surface.the blades are free to rotate.

To the bottom portion of the mill we will attach two electric powered motorbikes through a strong steel rods.we will make the blades rotate by riding on the bikes.the rods should make 180degree angle with each other.so now the blades rotates and in turn rotates the turbines and hence produce electricity.

In wind mills we have to wait for wind. in this process no need to wait for wind and can use man power.

sir please help me if this works or not please. i even added a photo please see that
ganesh rohit

Project Question: about producing electricity by wind mill
Project Due Date: 30th april
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: urgent i have a doubt

Postby ganesh rohit » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:08 am

please anyone answer my question fastly
ganesh rohit

Postby rmarz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:51 am

ganesh rohit - As I understand your question, could human power (produced by a bicycle attached to a generator) supplement a conventional wind generator during periods when no wind is present. The answer is yes, but there are some important considerations. Obviously a generator powered by a the wind is certainly very feasible and used every day and in every different size installation. I don't quite understand your reference to a horizontal propeller or blades and all the 180⁰ shafts, but that isn't too important at this point. I think that your idea of connecting the same mechanism to the bicycle has one significant problem, that is, how do you mechanically disconnect the bicycle from the wind generator blade mechanism during the 'no wind' scenario. If you don't disconnect, or provide some 'freewheeling' clutch, most of your human energy will be spent on spinning the fan or propeller and generating wind. Not what you want, you only want electricity from the bicycle generator. I assume you refer to your human generator mechanism as an electric bicycle in that you intend the bicycle drive motor will be used as the generator. That would certainly work as these motors are probably permanent magnet, DC motors.

From a practical standpoint, a highly conditioned athlete would probably be able to generate something on the order of 500 watts for a relatively short period of time. A person pedaling a bicycle on level terrain at a modest speed is about 100 watts. I hope this helps you understand some of the practical aspects of your project hypothesis.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby ganesh rohit » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:07 am

thank you'

i am not saying bicycle. i am saying a motorbike simply bike which runs through electricity
ganesh rohit

Postby ganesh rohit » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:11 am

sir but anyways thank u would you please suggest a project which is more helpful to humans.i am participating in Google science fair and please help me
:?: :!: :idea:
please sir help me with this.i have very keen interest in science
ganesh rohit

Postby rmarz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:10 pm

ganesh rohit - I'm not sure where your interests lie, so you might want to look at the Science Fair Project Ideas in this section for more ideas about possible projects.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a

Postby chuckie1564 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:51 am

if the bikes are electrically powered then wont it defeat the purpose i mean on how many bikes you use they may take half of of the power generated through 1 wind tubine if you took a two weeks of using the bikes and stored all of the power you gain after what the bikes use you could potentionally run a small area for no longer than three and a half weeks hope this helps
chuckie1564

Project Question: learning from mistakes and to get a general idea on places for experimentation for the things i work on

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science