Scientific R&D I Project; Need opinion from an "expert"

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Scientific R&D I Project; Need opinion from an "expert"

Postby jacobie12 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:22 am

I am doing a project for my R&D class and I am required to get an opinion from an expert of the topic I am doing. I just need someone to reply to this post and tell me what mixture of the following materials they believe would make the thickest/most durable bubble: Corn syrup, molasses, washing detergent, and honey. Water and dish soap are constants. I would be very grateful for any reply, and need a reply before Wednesday, May 21. Please Help. :D
jacobie12

Project Question: The problem is discovering which mixture of materials will create the thickest/most durable bubble.
Project Due Date: Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Scientific R&D I Project; Need opinion from an "expert"

Postby rmarz » Sat May 17, 2014 12:44 am

jacobie12 - Welcome to the secret formula cult of Bubble Mania. As a grandparent, I have searched for favorite recipes for several years and tried several. The common ingredients seem to be:

1) Dish detergent (often Dawn, with several people actually describing the labeling for different advertised formulas, label colors etc. Some complain that some earlier version, no longer available, was superior).
2) Glycerin.
3) Corn syrup.
4) J-Lube. A powdered material that when added to water creates a slippery, slimy lubricant primarily used in medical exams. Basically, it's PEO (polyethelene oxide or polyethelene glycol) and can be found at pharmacies or on eBay.
5) Guar gum.

There are many variables to this experiment. Distilled vs tap water. Detergent brands and formulas. Other surfactants that might be employed. Questions to be evaluated might be:

1) What formula makes the biggest bubbles?
2) What formula makes the longest duration, or robust bubbles?
2) What formula.... add your own question.

While this experiment may not change the world in a profound sense, it will help other grandfathers make a great bubble recipe to entertain and amaze the important people in his life.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Scientific R&D I Project; Need opinion from an "expert"

Postby jacobie12 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:53 am

Thanks a ton! You really helped! :)
jacobie12

Project Question: The problem is discovering which mixture of materials will create the thickest/most durable bubble.
Project Due Date: Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Project Status: I am just starting

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science