How Reservoir Height Affects Hydroelectric Power Production

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

How Reservoir Height Affects Hydroelectric Power Production

Postby SandyBaba123 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:26 am

Hi I was wondering in this experiment it states that we Remove the duct tape from the milk jug and immediately start the timer. This will be your starting time (time = 0 min). do we remove the whole piece of duct tape or de we only uncover one hole?
Also
Measure and write down the length of each water stream in your data table. Then immediately, with the ruler, measure and record the height of the reservoir (from the bottom of the milk jug to the surface of the water), and record your measurement in the data table.
What does this mean? Do we just measure from the stream to the hole?
My project is due in two weeks I hope somebody could answer this, thank you very much. :D

[Administrator added: URL for project at Science Buddies: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... #procedure]
SandyBaba123

Project Question: If the height affects the amount of hydroelectricity produced.
Project Due Date: 21 August 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: How Reservoir Height Affects Hydroelectric Power Product

Postby Ray Trent » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:41 am

You would need to remove all the duck tape all at once. The reason the lower holes have more pressure is that they have more water above them.

The two measurements that you're taking are 1) the distance from the jug to where the stream hits the ground (which is kind of a measure of the pressure at the holes, because higher pressure water will be moving faster), and 2) (taken as fast as possible after measuring 1) the distance from the bottom of the jug to the water level (which tells you the amount of water above each hole).

The experiment has a few confounding variables, though, which make conclusions more difficult. The fact that some holes are higher means that the water has longer to move horizontally, and so it's not the greatest measurement of the actual pressure at each hole. Looking at what it does over time should be interesting anyway, though.
../ray\..
Ray Trent
Expert

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science