make your own stethoscope

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

make your own stethoscope

Postby sdatt » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:38 pm

We have finished this project. I want to find out if any one has done this & if so which sthethoscope worked best & why? so we can compare results.
sdatt

Project Question: Making your own stethoscope. Has any one done this project before? I would like to know which is the best one & why?
Project Due Date: 2/1/13
Project Status: I am conducting my research

length of tube & quality of sound

Postby sdatt » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:41 pm

We made stethoscopes using different length tubes. I wanted to know if they is an article that will tell us if length of tube is related to quality of the sound?
In other words if stethoscope with shorter tube work better than one with longer tube? or which one will work better & why?
sdatt

Project Question: Making your own stethoscope. Has any one done this project before? I would like to know which is the best one & why?
Project Due Date: 2/1/13
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: make your own stethoscope

Postby Goldenzenith » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi sdatt,

Just curious - have you collected any results? I was just thinking, if the sounds are faint, it would be easier to hear if the tube is shorter, since they have less distance to travel to your ear. However, I've read that, according to the company 3M, the difference between short and only slightly longer tube stethoscopes probably won't be noticed. Much longer tubing, however, corresponds with low frequency sounds, which is helpful because heartbeats fall in that category. Thus, the answer really boils down to the relationship between frequency and tube length, and the difference between "short" and "long" (i.e. is it negligible or significant?) Some things to keep in mind as you conduct your research!
Need an idea or some inspiration?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Want to read up on awesome projects and science/math-related news?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/index.php

Enjoy! :D
-RM, Expert
Goldenzenith
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science