wobble detector

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

wobble detector

Postby jelybelyj » Sun May 05, 2013 8:36 am

Hello! My son is in 3rd grade he wants to build a wobble detector for his science fair project coming up. The book we are using has very vague instructions. I have copper wire and a porcelain light and I am using C batteries but its not working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
jelybelyj

Project Question: Wobble detector
Project Due Date: 5/13/13
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: wobble detector

Postby rmarz » Sun May 05, 2013 11:30 pm

jelybeljy - I'm afraid I have no knowledge of this experiment, and can't offer assistance at this time. Can you cite the book or article you are using so that I can try to search the internet for references. Any description of what the experiment consists of would be helpful. I'm sure someone at Science Buddies can be of help if we understood more about how it is constructed and how it is supposed to operate.

Rick Marz
rmarz
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: wobble detector

Postby kgudger » Mon May 06, 2013 8:41 am

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Is this similar to the wobble detector you're trying to make? http://www.tynesidebb.org/picture.asp?location=1morpeth&eventid=821&pictureid=1137

When I have circuit problems, I like to eliminate circuit elements one at a time to see what's causing the failure. In the case above, I would connect the ends of the two pieces of insulated wire to each other to see if the lamp lights then. Is your battery good? Is the light bulb good? Can you make the light light up in any configuration? As Rick says, the more information you can give us about the experiment, the more we can help.

Keith
kgudger

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science