Disappearing Sun

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Disappearing Sun

Postby Neven and Snakes » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:00 pm

What would happen if you removed the sun from the universe for 10 seconds?

What about Venus?
Neven and Snakes

Project Question: General Knowledge
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Disappearing Sun

Postby kgudger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Those are a couple of interesting questions you pose! What do you think would happen? The sun especially does a lot for us, from being the center of our solar system to providing us with heat and light.

Do you have any specific ideas in mind? If you can narrow your question down, we'll try and help you.

Keith
kgudger

Project Question: n/a

Postby Neven and Snakes » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:11 pm

It would cool the earth down a bit and it would be in a different orbital spot. So it would be like spring in the summer, winter in the fall and then just freezing in winter, and then it would be winter in the spring. So two winters and one super winter, one spring, summer and no fall.

I would like to know how close earth would get to mars, because of the orbital change, and if the orbital change would change the atmosphere and climate on earth.

Would earth and mars try to suck each other in and orbit around each other? As well as the sun (when it can back)?

If Venus disappeared, would that affect earths orbit?

One more question. If you released Venus' atmosphere into space, would it affect earth or mercury's climate?

Thank you.
Neven and Snakes

Project Question: General Knowledge

Postby Megara7 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Hello!

These are some interesting questions you pose. I found a video that might explain to you what would happen if the sun disappeared here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rltpH6ck2Kc. Also, we get so much energy and heat from the sun that we would freeze over eight minutes later (how long it takes for the sun's energy to travel to us).

I hope this helps a little!
-Meg
“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I’ve never met anybody who wasn’t important before.”
— The Eleventh Doctor
Megara7
Expert

Project Question: n/a

Return to Grades K-5: Physical Science