CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Re: CANCER GENOME ANATOMY PROJECT

Postby heatherL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:05 am

Hi Medical-stuff,

Yes, most genes code for proteins. The question is, what is the function of each protein? Are those proteins involved in the cell cycle, in chemical communication (hormones), or perhaps in the digestive functions of the organs you studied (liver and pancreas)?

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby Medical-stuff » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi heather!!!
I need help writing my purpose and abstract. I am not finding a lot if things to help write my purpose.
So far for my purpose:
The purpose of this project is to see if the pancreas and the liver will have the same genes that are over expressed when cancer develops. My reasoning for this was that I hypothesized that since both organs have similar functions in digestion, that they will have genes that had similar over expressed genes.
Medical-stuff

Project Question: 2 questions:
Why is it taking the cancer genome website so long to email me my info?
Also....
How do you do the hypothesis?
Project Due Date: February 22,2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Postby Medical-stuff » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Also *************************VERY IMPORTANT*************************
CAN I HAVE A LITTLE INFORMATION ABOUT YOU SO THAT I CAN ADD YOU TO MY ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS? please? tell me you name and other stuff. (better if you tell me the necessary components that I need to include for the acknowledgement)

I NEED YOU TO REPLY TO THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE LAST DAY YOU CAN TELL ME THIS INFORMATION IS MARCH 19,2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby Medical-stuff » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:45 pm

YOU COULD ALSO TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF PROFESSOR YOU ARE AT WHICH COLLEGE.(VERY HELPFUL)
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby heatherL » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:52 am

Hi Medical-stuff,

Medical-stuff wrote:I need help writing my purpose and abstract. I am not finding a lot if things to help write my purpose.
So far for my purpose:
The purpose of this project is to see if the pancreas and the liver will have the same genes that are over expressed when cancer develops. My reasoning for this was that I hypothesized that since both organs have similar functions in digestion, that they will have genes that had similar over expressed genes.

This is a good start. Maybe you could say something like this:

The purpose of this project was to examine gene expression associated with pancreas and liver cancer. I hypothesized that the pancreas and liver would have similar overexpression of genes with cancer because both organs have similar functions in digestion.

I appreciate you wanting to put me in the acknowledgements. I am happy for you to acknowledge me as Heather Liwanag from Science Buddies. I am an Assistant Professor of Biology at Adelphi University.

Good luck with your presentation!

Heather
heatherL

Postby Medical-stuff » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi heather, one last question that I really am not sure of:

1)when genes are over expressed in cancer, they are cancer cells.right?
2)when genes are under expressed in cancer, they are normal cells. Right?
3)when genes are over expressed in a normal body, they are normal cells. Right?
4)when genes are under expressed in a normal body, then what are they?

Also what is the exact definition of an over expressed gene and an under expressed gene?
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby heatherL » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi Medical-stuff,

The column identifies whether the cells are normal or cancerous. Some genes are expressed more in cancer cells, whereas other genes are "down-regulated," or expressed less in cancer cells. Everything is relative to a normal cell. So, to answer your questions...

Medical-stuff wrote:1)when genes are over expressed in cancer, they are cancer cells.right?

Yes, they are cancer cells because there is cancer present. In this case, the gene is expressed more than in normal cells.

Medical-stuff wrote:2)when genes are under expressed in cancer, they are normal cells. Right?

No. When genes are under-expressed in cancer, it means that the cell normally expresses that gene a lot more, but when cancer is present the gene gets turned off.

Medical-stuff wrote:3)when genes are over expressed in a normal body, they are normal cells. Right?

Yes, when genes are over-expressed in a normal cell, the cell is still normal. This is the other point of view for the situation described in question #2.

Medical-stuff wrote:4)when genes are under expressed in a normal body, then what are they?

They are normal cells. It just means that the gene is up-regulated (expressed more) when there is cancer. This is the other point of view for the situation in question #1.

To recap, the cells are labeled normal or cancerous based on whether cancer is present. Then, you compared gene expression. A gene that is over-expressed in cancer (under-expressed in normal cells) might be a gene that gets "turned on" when cells become cancerous, or might play a part in causing the cells to become cancerous. A gene that is under-expressed in cancer (over-expressed in normal cells) could be a gene that gets "turned off" when cells become cancerous.

I hope that clarifies things.

Heather
heatherL

Postby Medical-stuff » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:16 pm

Ok I understand this now but also what is the true meaning of "expression"?
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby heatherL » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Essentially, it's a way to describe how much protein is being made from that gene. More expression means more protein is being made. Less expression means less (or no) protein is being made.
heatherL

Postby Medical-stuff » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 pm

A gene that is under expressed in cancer(over expressed in normal cells) will not take part in creating cancerous cells.

correct???
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby Medical-stuff » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Expression- how much protein the gene is making. If it saying that the gene is over expressed then that means more proteins are being made. If it says that the gene is under expressed then that means less to no proteins are being made.

You will first try to see if the cell is cancerous or not depending on the cancer. After you complete that step, you will then compare the gene expressions.
A gene that is over expressed in cancer (under expressed in normal cells) means that it is a gene that will take part in making cells cancerous. A gene that is under expressed in cancer(over expressed in normal cells) will not take part in creating cancerous cells.

1)When genes are over expressed in cancer, they are cancer cells meaning cancer is present.
2)When genes are under expressed in cancer, it still expresses a gene a lot but will not be in use when cancer is present. It will "turn off."
3)When genes are over expressed in a normal body, it is a normal cell.
4)When genes are under expressed in a normal body, it is a normal cell that is expressed more when cancer is present.

i just typed this, is it correct?????????????????????????????????????/
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby heatherL » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 am

Hi Medical-stuff,

Sorry for the delay. I hope my response is not too late.

Medical-stuff wrote:A gene that is over expressed in cancer (under expressed in normal cells) means that it is a gene that will take part in making cells cancerous. A gene that is under expressed in cancer(over expressed in normal cells) will not take part in creating cancerous cells.

This is partially true. A gene that is over-expressed in cancer may play a role in making the cells cancerous. You can't tell whether the over-expression caused the cancer, or the cancer caused the gene to over-express. (That's why it helps to look at the function of the gene.) It is also possible that "turning off" a gene could cause cancer. For example, there are proteins involved in apoptosis (programmed cell death) that are expressed when the cell does not have the room or resources to keep growing and reproducing. Turning off those proteins could allow cancer to develop, since cancer cells continue to grow where they shouldn't.

Medical-stuff wrote:1)When genes are over expressed in cancer, they are cancer cells meaning cancer is present.
2)When genes are under expressed in cancer, it still expresses a gene a lot but will not be in use when cancer is present. It will "turn off."
3)When genes are over expressed in a normal body, it is a normal cell.
4)When genes are under expressed in a normal body, it is a normal cell that is expressed more when cancer is present.

I think you may be confusing "genes" and "cells" here (at least in your wording). Let's combine your statements:

1) When genes are over-expressed in cancer (under-expressed in normal cells), the gene products are produced more in cancer cells compared to normal cells.
2) When genes are under-expressed in cancer (over-expressed in normal cells), the gene products are produced less (or not at all) compared to normal cells.

The above statements combine your four statements into one. Does that help alleviate your confusion?

Heather
heatherL

Postby Medical-stuff » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Hello Heather, may I receive your email addess?
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby Medical-stuff » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 pm

isn't it online?
Medical-stuff

Also....

Postby heatherL » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi medical-stuff,

It is against Science Buddies policy to post personal information, including e-mail addresses, on the forums. But if you do a little research online, you can find the information you need. :wink:

Best,
Heather
heatherL

PreviousNext

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences