Carrots and salt

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Carrots and salt

Postby reesabp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi,

I am helping a elementary schooler with their project, and they were wondering if there is any reason the carrots would secrete more salt than other vegetables. They are investigating carrot juice and beet juice as ice melters. Is there any reason carrot juice would melt ice better than beet juice?

Thanks!
reesabp

Project Question: Still working on this
Project Due Date: 4/1/2014
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Carrots and salt

Postby heatherL » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi there,

Welcome to Science Buddies! This is an interesting project idea. I think the information in this Science Buddies project will help you a lot: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p049.shtml

By seeing what makes ice melt, you are looking at something called a colligative property of water. A colligative property is something that is affected by substances that are dissolved in the water. This project looks at freezing point, which is the temperature at which ice melts. If more "things" are dissolved in water, then ice will melt at a lower temperature. This is why cities pour salt onto roads when it snows - to make the ice melt at a colder temperature, which will make the water on the road turn to liquid water instead of ice (for safer driving).

Now to get at your particular project. You are comparing beet juice to carrot juice. Both of these liquids have lots of dissolved substances in them. It does not matter whether those things are salts; the more "things" dissolved in the liquid, the greater it will affect a colligative property like freezing point. Also, a greater concentration of substances will affect a colligative property more. So you need to consider how much "stuff" is dissolved in each juice, and at what concentration. If carrot juice has more "stuff" in it, then it will likely melt the ice faster. That "stuff" can be everything from sugar to salt.

I hope this helps. Please post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences