Does gender affect sense of taste/flavor?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Does gender affect sense of taste/flavor?

Postby mekons » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 am

Does gender affect the sense of taste/flavor? If so how and why? Does vision (or being deprived of vision) impact the sense of taste/flavor? If so, how and why? Does the sense of smell (or being deprived of the sense of smell) impact taste/flavor? If so, how and why?
mekons

Project Question: Does gender impact sense of taste/flavor.
Project Due Date: April 10. 2013
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Does gender affect sense of taste/flavor?

Postby donnahardy2 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Welcome to Science Buddies! You have posted your question in the K-5 forum, so I think you are looking for a project for an elementary student. This is a great topic for a science project.
. Here is a project idea that you could adapt to an investigation on the effect of gender on the sense of taste.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ml#summary

I would recommend using human subjects of about the same age and try to include at least 5 male and 5 female subjects.

Here is useful information on doing a science project also from this website that includes the details you will need for the display board.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml

Please post again in this topic if you need any additional information.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Postby murwarid3 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:45 am

Hello, and I would also like to say welcome to Science Buddies!

I think your project looks great! It seems very interesting and appealing.

For the project, " Does vision (or being deprived of vision) impact the sense of taste/flavor? " you can use a group of students (maybe 5 or so) that wear glasses and a group of students of the same size who do not wear glasses. This will shows the possible differences in taste and flavor.

If you have any questions, feel free to post again.

Thanks,
Murwarid Rahimi
murwarid3

Project Question: I would love to be involved in helping the young scientist community, by giving advice and encouragement to do their best. It's important for young kids to gain and seek knowledge by others, and I am willing to do serve as this role.
Project Due Date: n/a

Postby connief » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:14 am

Hello there,

That is a very interesting project! Have you thought about what types of foods you may give your test subjects to try? It may be cool to try foods of different flavors (i.e. salty, sweet, spicy, sour, etc.) to see if any of the characteristics you were talking about (gender, deprivation of vision) only has specific effects on foods of certain flavors. Also, to add on to what Murwarid mentioned about using a group of students that wear glasses versus students that don't wear glasses, it may be useful to know how bad their vision is because you would be able to see whether worse vision impacts the sense of taste/flavor more! Another suggestion is that instead of trying students that wear and don't wear glasses, you can just give foods to one group of students that are going to be blindfolded versus another group that isn't blindfolded to see how deprivation of vision would affect their sense of taste/flavor.

Another thing to think about is how you're going to record your observations. For example, let's say you give a boy and a girl some candy, and ask them what they think of the taste/flavor as they eat it. How are you going to ask them to describe what they taste? What if they both say it's sweet? How will you determine whether one person thinks the candy is sweeter than the other person thinks? One thing you can maybe ask them to do is to "rank" the sweetness (for example, 1 can be mildly sweet, and 2 can be very sweet, etc.). Having your whole experimental setup figured out is important, but thinking about how you're going to describe your results/observations is equally important!

Hope that helped. Please let us know if you have anymore questions!

Connie
connief
Expert

Project Question: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.
Project Due Date: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences