Aerodynamics

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Aerodynamics

Postby rudykin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi, I have a question about air speed velocity and wing shape - related to the air that flows over the top of an airfoil. My question has to do with additional airfoils, and whether if airfoils were lined up one in front of another and reversed so that the curvature related to air speed over the top of the first air foil (that is increasing speed) would be increased even further by an airfoil that's position is reversed vertically (upside down)? See attached word doc with image - hopefully it clarifies the question. Thank you!
Attachments
airspeed.docx
(55.39 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
rudykin

Project Question: Looking for answers to physics questions
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Aerodynamics

Postby theborg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:20 am

rudykin,

Welcome to Science Buddies, and thank you for the question. I don't have access to a computer that i can draw an example, so I'll try to explain as best as I can. The concept here is somewhat misleading. It is in reference to Bernoulli's principal, which holds for a single flow field only. Which means that if two air particles in the same air stream are split by an air foil, the one flowing over the "top" must move faster than the one along the "bottom" such that the two particles end up at the trailing edge at the same time. The stream above doesn't stay accelerated in the way you have drawn. What you have is the way a jet engine compressor works. Each successive stage is reversed and the flow is compressed into a smaller and smaller space. I'll try to post more about this at a later time.
I hope this helps.

theborg
----------
"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it."
~ Albert Einstein
theborg

Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Aerodynamics

Postby rudykin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Oh, okay. I see. Yes, that's helpful. Thanks for your response!
rudykin

Project Question: Looking for answers to physics questions

Return to Grades 9-12: Physical Science