Video: Machine for Lifting Water
Want to learn more? Check out these other resources:
Combining hands-on STEM learning with other school subjects is a great way to add extra depth and real-world context to science class. Free lessons for hands-on, multi-subject, project-based learning! In partnership with Cisco Corporate Social Responsibility, Science Buddies has developed a series of lesson plans that connect with Global Problem Solvers: The Series, an animated video series that features a team of teenagers who work together to solve… Read more
Lesson Plan Grade: 4th-8th
What would your students do if your town's water supply was cut off due to an equipment failure or natural disaster? Inspired by Global Problem Solvers: The Series, in this lesson plan they will tackle a real-world engineering challenge by building a prototype of a device that can manually pump water during an emergency. They will also think like entrepreneurs and come up with a business plan for how their device could be produced, sold, and used in the real world. This lesson is one of… Read more
NGSS Performance Expectations:
- 3-5-ETS1-1. Define a simple design problem reflecting a need or a want that includes specified criteria for success and constraints on materials, time, or cost.
- 3-5-ETS1-2. Generate and compare multiple possible solutions to a problem based on how well each is likely to meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
- 3-5-ETS1-3. Plan and carry out fair tests in which variables are controlled and failure points are considered to identify aspects of a model or prototype that can be improved.
- MS-ETS1-1. Define the criteria and constraints of a design problem with sufficient precision to ensure a successful solution, taking into account relevant scientific principles and potential impacts on people and the natural environment that may limit possible solutions.
- MS-ETS1-2. Evaluate competing design solutions using a systematic process to determine how well they meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
- MS-ETS1-4. Develop a model to generate data for iterative testing and modification of a proposed object, tool, or process such that an optimal design can be achieved.
Explore Our Science Videos
DIY Toy Sailboat
Make A Tissue Paper Parachute - STEM Activity
Stretchy Balloons! Fun STEM Activity