does the type of container affect the rate of water evaporat

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

shell

does the type of container affect the rate of water evaporat

Post by shell »

does a metal, plastic, or glass container have a different evaporation effect? Does the container mean anything if the surface area, humidity, and room temp stays the same with the evaporation process?
I can not come up with an evaporation amt between the three. Am I wrong? Is there a difference in evaporation. I had for different degrees. (40, 60, 80, and 100) I timed each at 180 min. at 50% humidity. Please help.
shell

Re: does the type of container affect the rate of water evap

Post by shell »

shell wrote:does a metal, plastic, or glass container have a different evaporation effect? Does the container mean anything if the surface area, humidity, and room temp stays the same with the evaporation process?
I can not come up with an evaporation amt between the three. Am I wrong? Is there a difference in evaporation. I had for different degrees. (40, 60, 80, and 100) I timed each at 180 min. at 50% humidity. Please help.
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Hi Shell,
That's a very interesting and important topic. Can you give a little more background information? What is your school grade level? What procedures do you plan to use to test your hypothesis? Do these containers have identical dimensions? Will the containers be exposed to sunlight? Will they be inside or outside? The more information you provide, the more the experts here will be able to help.

It will also be helpful for you to read more information about the process of evaporation. This web page has a decent summary http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/c ... m00964.htm
You can find more information by conducting a web search for "evaporation", "evaporation factors", or other relevant terms. If you encounter any terms or concepts that you don't understand, please feel free to ask us for help.

Good luck!

Chris
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

I would recommend that you do some research on thermal convection and thermal conductivity as well has the heat of vaporization to understand some possible properties of the containers that might effect your results. In other words, it is unlikely that the material the container is made out of will directly affect your results; however, the properties of the container materials might.
-Craig

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”