What is Science Buddies?
The award-winning, non-profit Science Buddies empowers K-12 students, parents, and teachers to quickly and easily find free project ideas and help in all areas of science from physics to food science and music to microbiology. Whether your goal is to find a fun science activity for your kids or win the international science fair, sciencebuddies.org puts comprehensive, scientist-authored tools, tips, and techniques at your fingertips.
Science Buddies mission is to help students from all walks of life to build their literacy in science and technology so they can become productive and engaged citizens in the 21st century. We have created personalized learning tools, over 15,000 pages of scientist-developed subject matter (including experiments based on the latest academic research), and an online community of science professionals who volunteer to advise students. We also provide resources to support parents and teachers as they guide students doing hands-on science projects. Representing much more than a website, Science Buddies quickly and efficiently matches students with the information that will hold their interest and answer their questions. We provide a bridge between scientists and students, giving students access to current scientific research and simultaneously giving scientists a way to reach out to young people interested in their fields.
Sponsors & Donors
Science Buddies is a 501c3 public charity. Our online resources are available free to students and teachers thanks to the generous underwriting support we receive from our sponsors and from donations we receive from parents, teachers, and other individual donors. View a complete list of Our Sponsors.
To see our tax records and other public information, we invite you to visit GuideStar, the on-line standard for nonprofit accountability. To find our listing, you must first register with GuideStar to obtain a free basic account. Then type Science Buddies into the search field.
Overview of Science Buddies Programs & Resources
Taking inspiration from the news, from the frontlines of university research, and from kids themselves, our staff scientists publish new content weekly. They often collaborate with experts at high tech companies, government labs and agencies (like NOAA and NASA) and top universities. Science Buddies provides fun, intellectually-stimulating and cutting-edge science education resources such as:
- An online library of 1000+ Project Ideas, which are detailed scientist-authored outlines that help students create a project in any of 30 different fields of science and engineering
- The Topic Selection Wizard tool to help students find a project idea that perfectly matches their unique interests
- The Project Guide is an online encyclopedia for how to do science research and science fair projects. It includes step-by-step guidance, actual sample assignments, photos of science fair projects, tips for success, and self-grading checklists for students. Also includes tools, techniques, and reference information such as safety guidelines and an Engineering Design Project Guide.
- A robust Hands-on STEM for Your Classroom area with a curriculum for teaching the scientific method, printable classroom handouts, grading rubrics, and enrichment tools
- The Ask an Expert online advice forum where scientists and engineers guide students who are doing science and engineering projects
- Career Information includes 100+ Career Profiles to inform students about science, technology, engineering, and math careers. Career Profiles are tied into our library of Project Ideas so students can easily see how the science in their project is used in real-world careers.
- Via the Summer Science Fellows Program, a small group of recent graduates (and Intel ISEF participants) join Science Buddies to work on specialized projects during summer months.
Explore Our Science Videos
5 Easy Fizzing & Foaming Science Projects
Flower Dissection - STEM Activity
Lift Ice with Yarn STEM activity