science fair due in 3 months .

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jessica007
Project Question: how to convert gas made from baking soda and citric acid to electricity to run a motor(not a car a motor like a turbine i think thats what it is called)
Project Due Date: july
Project Status: I am conducting my research

science fair due in 3 months .

Post by jessica007 »

is it possible to use the gas which is formed by citric acid and baking soda when mixed and water is added to change into electricity?
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: science fair due in 3 months .

Post by rmarz »

jessica007 - The gas resulting from the citric acid + baking soda reaction is non-combustible carbon dioxide. Using the gas directed through an appropriate nozzle to turn an impeller or vane, as in a wind turbine, would produce some electricity. You could use a DC motor as your generator. Much more complex (and expensive) would be to use a piston engine similar to a model steam engine to turn a shaft which in turn would drive the electric generator. In any case, a fairly large volume of gas would be required to sustain even a small amount of electricity generation.

Rick Marz

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”