Brine Salt Lake on ocean floor

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Tinkr

Brine Salt Lake on ocean floor

Post by Tinkr »

Hey a question for experts,
I've been reading about oceans and what not, and I'm currently interested in Ocean brine lake. I saw a video where a crab was crystallised in halide crystals and seemed like it died immediately after getting into it. I wonder what would happened if naked human hands or just any meat come into contact with the brine lake?
Would osmosis come into play, like cells getting depleted of water and something happens to the meat?
MrsDez
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Brine Salt Lake on ocean floor

Post by MrsDez »

Hi,

What an interesting topic.
Is this a topic of interest for a science fair project?
I found an article on Scientific American and Oceanx that have information on what would happen if some organisms had contact with a brine pool.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ar ... rov-video/
Of course, there is one more notable aspect to these lakes: in addition to being ultradense, they are also ultralethal. Although bacteria and archaea that can breathe methane – often present in abundance in brine -- can live in it, large animals cannot survive. They will become fish pickles if they somehow “fall” in.

http://www.oceanx.org/brine-pools-explo ... planet-ii/
On one of our dives, we captured extraordinary footage of an eel venturing into the murky depths of a brine pool in search of food. The toxic shock was so great, the eel immediately went into spasm, recovering only after drifting out of the brine pool’s deadly embrace.
Hope this helps,
Mrsdez

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”