Safe Pollutant Levels for Daphnia Magna

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

17CKieley
Project Question: I am doing a science fair project on the effect of pollutants (dissolved in water) on the water species Daphnia magna. I need to know how to measure the different pollutants (motor oil, fertilizer, et cetera) and proportion them to the water. The solution with the pollutants must have enough of it to have an effect on the specimen, but can't be so much as to kill it (there are regulations, and the kill rate must be relatively low). I'm not sure how to go about this part and really need help!
Project Due Date: Data collection and experimentation should be done or near completion by November 14, 2013.
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Safe Pollutant Levels for Daphnia Magna

Post by 17CKieley »

I'm studying the effects of pollutants on daphnia magna. I want to know how to measure the pollutant-water ratio, how to mix it, and safe amounts for the daphnia. I want to see the effects, but want to keep the kill rate very low. Thanks!
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Safe Pollutant Levels for Daphnia Magna

Post by theborg »

See answer on your other post. Try not to duplicate posts, this helps us answer you more comprehensively.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”