lily

How to boil water with out stove or fireplace

Postby lily » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:35 pm

I am in the 4th grade and I am trying to figure out how I can boil water without using a stove or a fireplace... so far, I have found a candle stove and my mom told me I can use a microwave oven...

Can you help me with any other ideas?

Thank you!!!

romeo

Postby romeo » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:23 pm

you can use concave glass, put glass against the sun and let the sunrays fall on the water, after awhile water should start boiling.

good luck

raytrent
Former Expert

Postby raytrent » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:12 pm

I'm not real clear on what you're trying to do. There are a huge number of ways to boil water. One of the more obvious is an electric water kettle. There are other electric water boiling gadgets too, like a coil that you can drop in a coffee cup.

Solar is cute, but probably pretty hard to get it to actually work. There are chemical mixtures that are really exothermic and would boil water (e.g. sodium or cesium can do this, but they are really dangerous, so don't actually do it, just look it up). Also, you could subject the water to a hard vacuum (not like from a vacuum cleaner, but like using a vacuum pump), which would boil it without heat, which is kind of neat.

Err, I guess a powerful enough laser would work, but you won't be able to get your hands on one of those. I don't know whether you could use enough heat lamps to get it to work, but it's at least possible.

Blurg... pour it on a car engine?

Anyway, you get the point, there are too many ways to mention. Do you have a particular goal in mind?
../ray\..

Return to “Physical Science”