dmtaylor

Need help with problem statement....

Postby dmtaylor » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:01 pm

My son's science fair project is on a Liquid Rocket Motor Propulsion. We have researched our first set of notes for his research paper and I'm not sure how to help him come up with a problem statement. For example, is it smart to compare the statement to a Solid Rocket Motor Propulsion? And what's a variable? Is that just like a problem statement? From the problem statement, we need to also find our hypothesis. PLEASE direct me!!!

ranch118

Re: Need help with problem statement....

Postby ranch118 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi!

I'm not sure what your problem statement is, but a variable is a factor that can be changed in an experiment.
For example, my experiment is testing if the amount of carbon dioxide will affect the temperature in a jar.
My variable would be the different amount of carbon dioxide in each jar.

Hope that helps and good luck with your project!

Rachel

MelissaB

Postby MelissaB » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:31 am

Hi,

Here's some great information on questions, hypotheses, and variables: http://sciencebuddies.org/science-fair- ... l?From=Tab . I believe a problem statement is essentially your question, but in statement form--but you should see if your son's teacher provided them with more information on that.

dmtaylor

Postby dmtaylor » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:15 am

Thank each of you for your time to answer my question. Yes, a problem statement is in the form of a question, however, that's just it...I don't know how to come up w/a GOOD, SENSIBLE question regarding his project (Liquid Rocket Model Propulsion). :)

I'm not asking for the perfect question, I am just asking for some ideas. Thanks so much! This "Ask an Expert" is SO wonderful. Good job for the pple who came up with this idea.

Respectfully,
Debbie Taylor

agm
Former Expert

Postby agm » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:37 am

There's information specifically about project questions here, including some examples: http://sciencebuddies.org/science-fair- ... tion.shtml

Most science projects are designed to test the effect of something that you change (independent variable, IV) on something that you measure (dependent variable, DV). Common forms for the project question to take are "How does [IV] affect [DV]?" or "What [value of IV] results in the best [value of DV]?"

From your background research you should have an idea of what some interesting variables might be, but you could look at this project description for a solid rocket for some examples: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p008.shtml

Amanda

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”