Sound: Can You Feel Music?
Area of Science
Sabine De Brabandere, PhD, Science Buddies
Sandra Slutz, PhD, Science Buddies
Video narration by Sandra Slutz, PhD, Science Buddies
Free for a limited time thanks to individual donors
Students know that sounds can be heard, but do they know that some sounds can also be felt and seen? In this lesson, students will learn that vibration causes sound and build a fun musical instrument of their own.
- Discover that sounds are caused by vibrations.
- Recognize that vibrations can be heard, felt, and seen.
- Empty tissue box with a single hole in the top (hole should not wrap around two sides), or small cardboard box with a hole cut in the top
- Rubber band that is big enough to stretch around the box lengthwise and over the hole
- Pencil, marker, or crayon (2)
Prep Work (10 minutes)
Gather all the materials. If you are using cardboard boxes instead of tissue boxes, use a box cutter to cut a hole in the top, and tape the lid flaps shut.
Please log in or create a free account to view the full lesson or to leave a reviewLog In / Join